CANCELLED - Chess Tournament
- CANCELLED - Chess Tournament
- 3/13/2020 – 3/15/2020
Good morning, CORE Chess Families,
I wanted to let you know about an exciting opportunity. It is the 46th Annual State Scholastic Chess Tournament March 13-15 at the Santa Clara Convention Center.
Any chess student may play in the tournament.
You can find out information about fees and registration at:
The registration form can be confusing, so please contact me with questions. Please note, if your child has never played in a regular rated tournament before, you will select the UNRATED/rookie section for your child's grade level.
Our SVSCL league are not regular rated tournaments. Our league ranks students' games, but these are quick ratings (QR) and are different from a regular rating. The state tournament is a regular rated game, so your child would not sign up according to his or her quick rating but would play in the unrated/rookie section for his or her grade level.
If your child goes to the state tournament this year AND again next year (or plays in any regular rated tournament between now and then), your child will earn a regular rating and would then use that rating to register for tournaments.
If you are ever curious to look up your child's rating (quick rating or regular) you can find it on uscf.com by typing in your child's name.
So here is how to register for the state tournament:
1. Go to the link above and print and fill out the registration form.
2. You can either mail the form and your check in directly to the tournament OR you can write the check to our SVSCL league and turn in your form and check to me, and I will get it to the league and our league will register your student.
3. For "team" on the registration form, you can write CORE Marysville Charter School AND Sacramento Valley Scholastic Chess League.
4. The Hilton Santa Clara at the Great America Parkway location is directly across the street from the convention center and is a convenient hotel option, although not the least expensive.
You will be responsible for booking your hotel accommodations and for all fees and transportation costs.
Again, I know the registration form can be confusing, so please email me or catch me before or during chess team and I will be happy to help you fill it out!