School Leadership Team
Leadership in School Organization and Administration
- Executive Director
- Has worked in education for over 16 years as a Group Home tutor, classroom teacher, alternative program developer, Personalized Learning Teacher, and administrator. Chris Mahurin graduated with Highest Honors from the University of California, Santa Barbara with a double major in Philosophy and Religious Studies. He has received his Single Subject Teaching Credential in Social Science and holds a Full Administrative Credential. Chris continues to advocate for alternative education and Personalized Learning with every opportunity.
- Assistant School Director
- Joined CORE in 2002 as a Personalized Learning teacher. She brought 14 years experience as a home school mom as well as some years employed by a private school and charter school. In her current role as an assistant administrator she facilitates the teachers’ responsibilities, provides opportunities for on-going professional development, and aids the development of services for students. Mrs. Kunde introduced an expository reading and writing course, sanctioned by California’s UC and State Universities, for the purpose of preparing high school students to successfully meet the rigor of college English study. As a professional editor, she has prepared educational book manuscripts for publication. She continues to advocate for alternatives to education with every opportunity.
- Director of Operations
- Has served the school program in a variety of ways since its inception as well as homeschooled her own children through its program. She oversees classified staff through daily operations, manages the school and State information systems, implements State mandated policies and programs, and helps facilitates CORE’s personalized program for enrolled families.
- Special Education
- Oversees the Special Education program. Having spent several years as a general education teacher before coming to CORE, Marla relates well to students and their parents and knows how to plan suitable programs to meet individual needs. At CORE she serves a caseload of special education students, regularly consults with general education teachers and RSP providers, coordinates student services, facilitates all IEP meetings, and strives to stay current with Special Education law and best practices.
Leadership in Finance, Facilities, and Business Operations
- Business Director
- Has been a member of leadership team since August 2002. She provides the link between the day-to-day business operations and the budget planning with the financial oversight at the county level. Ms. Horton has been involved in office management for 25 years and brings experience form the California school system having worked for other districts and charter schools. She is responsible for all purchasing duties, bookkeeping, record keeping, management of student budgets, and accounts payable through the county software system.