Skip to main content

CORE Charter School

High School » Career Technical Education Pathways

Career Technical Education Pathways

  • Regional Occupation Program (ROP)

  • What Is ROP?
    ROP (Regional Occupational Program) is classroom and on-the-job training in a number of different occupations and futures. Typically, ROP programs are housed in the local high school, but this does not mean that it is only available to only those high school students. ROP is an independent, typically WASC-accredited program that contracts with schools to offer this opportunity to high school students. Our students can and should take advantage of this opportunity. (See the Tri-County Regional Occupational Program for more information.) Different opportunities available include:
      • Hospital Health Occupations
      • Auto Body Paint/Repair
      • Banking/Financial Services
      • Animal and Veterinary Services
      • Emergency Medical Careers
      • Web Page Design
      • Sports Medicine Careers
      • etc. - The list is different depending on your area 
  • How Does It Work?
    If a student and/or Independent Study Teacher recognize a specific program that fits well with the student's interests and future aspirations, there are a number of ways of going about signing up for the course, depending on the student's geographic region.
      • Some programs require students to first contact the course instructor to determine availability and appropriateness of the course.
      • Some programs require that the student contact the specific ROP office to enroll.
  • Can I Earn Credit?
    Students earn credit towards high school and, in some cases, community college credit. Credits are assigned by CORE, but with the recommendation of the ROP program. For instance, most programs in the Yuba City ROP earn 5 units per semester. Certain courses will have articulation with a specific high school's graduation requirement. The responsibility of describing the articulation agreement is the student's.
  • What Are The Benefits?
    It is rare to have the facilities and wherewithal to train students in equipment-intensive, specialized, and/or professional career opportunities. The state of California has recognized the need for this training and has created programs that link "in-the-field" industry with student. Students earn high school credit, gain hands-on experience.
  • What Does It Cost?
    There is no cost to take an ROP course, except in some cases where students need to purchase equipment. Emergency Medical Careers students, for instance, need to purchase steel-toed boots, a tuberculosis test, malpractice insurance, and pay a CPR fee.
  • When Does My Student Sign Up?
    Some ROP's enroll in the spring for the upcoming fall semester, though most will accept students right on into the semester. There is, however, a cut-off point that is usually early in a semester.
  • Tri-Counties ROP does a "pre-enrollment" in the spring, but accepts students at the beginning of the semester (August/September for the fall semester). Basically, if your student knows that they would like to take a course in the fall, they should do the legwork in the summer.