The Charter Council meets four times per year as an advisory body in order to give parent and staff input on the school programs, fiscal matters and parent concerns. It is comprised of 2 parent members, 2 staff members, and the School Director.
- Denise Zemko - Parent Member
- Sherry King – Staff Member
- Chris Mahurin - Executive Director
- Starr Hendrix - Staff Member
Charter Council Biographies
- Parent Member
- Denise attended Yuba-Sutter schools in her youth and wants CORE to thrive in this community. She began homeschooling her children in 2006. Her oldest daughter graduated from CORE in 2015. A middle school student is currently enrolled at CORE Aerospace STEM Academy; the remaining 3 complete much of their Personalized Learning program at home. She believes that parents and educators should partner together to give each child the individual attention he/she needs to acquire a high quality education. "Every child is important and represents 100% of our future."
- Staff Member
- Sherry was a committed parent of CORE for 12 years until her daughter graduated in 2011. In 2009 she began filling full time staff positions as School Library Clerk, Receptionist, School Secretary and Administrative Secretary sharing her personal experiences and expertise with other families and staff members.
- Executive Director
- Personalized Learning is a unique model of education that honors the diversity of students and their families. Parental involvement and educational options are central, as we tailor a dynamic individual program for each student. With Personalized Learning, Homeschool/Independent Study is combined with classroom instruction, online options, tutoring, field trips, community involvement, and career/college exploration.
- Staff Member
Starr has worked in the traditional public school setting as both a teacher and administrator. After having her first child, she and her husband decided personalized learning was the best decision for their son. Once her son was in third grade, Starr began working as a personalized learning teacher at CORE. This job fulfills her purpose and passion for helping each student learn in a successful way. Attending to each student's needs and watching them succeed is an absolute joy. She thoroughly enjoys being a personalized learning teacher.